No, I don’t mean Anna Fanna Bobanna. I mean it is time to brainstorm ideas for the name of Milwaukee’s new transportation-oriented bicycle coalition. Wednesday night, 16 co-conspirators met at the home of Milwaukee’s first bicycle messenger service, The Swinging Door Saloon. Over some beer, pierogi’s and kraut, we had a great discussion about forming a new coalition of people who ride bicycles for transportation. Everyone agreed the group needs a name and we decided to open it up for suggestions here. After people suggest names via the comments below, I will post a survey and readers will vote for their favorite. I will announce the winning name at the next meeting.
To help people think of names, here is some of what we discussed:
- The group will serve to lend a collective identity for people in the Milwaukee metro area who ride bicycles for transportation, in the same way abike club or racing team does for those who ride bikes purely for recreation of racing.
- In the same way bike clubs or teams provide a social network for their members, the group will have a Facebook page for social networking and so members can announce rides, casual meet-ups and fun events like the much missed “Love Your Bike Party.” (Remember there are already a series of rides planned for this spring which you can see on the Ride page in the menu above)
- The group will be open to any and all comers, and strive not to be intimidating so as to attract people who are bi-cycle curious rather than just the hard-core commuter.
- The group will eventually have a local advocacy component, perhaps even organizing a Milwaukee bike summit and raising money for causes.
- The Bicycle Federation will provide initial support and is open to a more formal relationship in the future, but for now the group is moving forward on its own.
As far as names go, we had a few suggestions at the Swinging Door:
- Milwaukee by Bike, or MB2
- Brew City Bicycles or Brew City Bikes
- Metro Milwaukee Bicycle Association/Coalition
- “52”, a transportation bicycle club-the 5 represents 50% and the 2 represents 2 miles as in 50% of the car trips are less than 2 miles. It also suggests riding 52 weeks a year.
- MBM, Milwaukee Bicycle Messengers-the idea was the groups will spread the message of cycling for transportation in Milwaukee
So with that, we look forward to any and all additional suggestions for names. Hit me with your best shot via the comments below.